Apr 20, 2011

Finally finished, only 3 years late!

Three years ago, Kade asked me for a sock lion for his birthday. That was his favorite animal at the time, and his favorite color was yellow. I bought some cute yellow socks, cut and sewed them up, and set them in my bin full of projects I needed to finish. And there they stayed, getting covered up with more and more unfinished projects.

Kade asked me about his sock lion the other day, and I immediately felt so guilty! I've made close to a hundred sock creatures in the last three years, plus countless other stuffed animals and other things. But I forgot about his little sock lion. I can't believe Kade didn't forget about it too, since it's been so long!

In a way, I'm glad I made this lion now instead of three years ago. I don't think it would have turned out looking anything like a lion back then, when I was just getting the hang of sock monkeys! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It took hours to hand tie each hair of his mane to his head, but it was worth it!

Now, three years later, Kade's favorite animals are turtles. His favorite color is "all the colors but pink!". But I think he will still love his finished sock lion that I will give him as part of his Easter basket. Better late than never, right?


Still to do in my huge pile of halfway done projects-
~King size jean quilt
~Three sock monkeys
~Owl purse
~Two fabric first name puzzles
~A few pairs of baby booties
~A summer shirt for me
~A wallet for Jer

....plus more! Am I the only one who has this problem? It's a personal goal of mine to start finishing all the things I've started, to make way for new things. I *love* getting something done and checking it off my mental list. I'm not going to procrastinate any more. This yellow lion is the first of many, and I'm so excited to move on to the next!!

***Just thought I would add the link to the tutorial I used, years ago, to learn how to make sock monkeys! They are easy, and with just the basic sock monkey form you can also make lions like mine, cats, dogs, bunnies, monsters, and lots of other things! There are also lots of other sock creature tutorials out there if you just search for them. I highly recommend it, they are so fun to make!***

10 comments:

Jody said...

I LOVE your lion! Soooo cute.
I just re-organized my "studio" (read spare bedroom) and made a list of more than a dozen UFOs. Ugh. Decided something had to be done about this so... I have finished a banner and a set of high chair pads and am off to finish some aprons for the grands now. Feels great but still a long way to go.

Anonymous said...

that lion is incredibly cute! I bet Kade loves it :o)

EllenQ said...

His face is just purrrfect. He looks like he is saying "aw, shucks."

Felicia said...

Your sock lion is absolutely the best I have ever seen. Do you know the brand of socks you used or where you might have bought them? I would love to make one for my daughter. Thanks for sharing. Felicia

Melody said...

Thanks for all the comments! :)
Felicia, I can't remember the brand name of the socks I used. I got them at Fred Meyer, and I think I remember seeing them there recently (I bought the yellow socks about 3 years ago), so I'm pretty sure they still make them. Next time I go to Fred Meyer I'll check the brand for you! They are great socks for sock creatures, very sturdy and the color combinations and patterns are fun!

Ordinary Hiker said...

This Lion is so cute! It looks great. I've got a big ol' pile of WIP's to finish as well. I've been so caught up trying to buy my first house all my crafty adventures are sitting in a sewing basket... Keep up the awesome work!

professional essays said...

Woo...just can't believe you took 3 full years complete this beautiful and sweet Lion...the memories are so great with this sweet lion that I feel very touched...!!!

article writing said...

Aaww this is really cute though...you have really gathered some great memories of your past and I am very pleased that you at last completed this stuff... :)

Piotr LA said...

Super that you write such things, I like very much.
sensual pleasure

Unknown said...

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..ThanksDisposable Coverall